 >> I found so following error message is not too friendly (mainly because
 >> this functionality will be new)
 >>
 >> postgres=# select dense_rank(3,3,2) within group (order by num desc, odd)
 >> from test4;
 >> ERROR:  Incorrect number of arguments for hypothetical set function
 >> LINE 1: select dense_rank(3,3,2) within group (order by num desc, od...
 >> ^
 >>
 >> Probably some hint should be there?

Hm, yeah.

Anyone have ideas for better wording for the original error message,
or a DETAIL or HINT addition? The key point here is that the number of
_hypothetical_ arguments and the number of ordered columns must match,
but we don't currently exclude the possibility that a user-defined
hypothetical set function might have additional non-hypothetical args.

The first alternative that springs to mind is:

ERROR: Incorrect number of arguments for hypothetical set function
DETAIL: Number of hypothetical arguments (3) must equal number of ordered
columns (2)

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)