Jeff Janes wrote
> True, but that is also true of indexes created in bulk.  It all has to
> reach disk eventually--
> [...]
> If the checkpoint interval is as long as the partitioning period, then
> hopefully the active index buffers get re-dirtied while protected in
> shared_buffers, and only get written to disk once.

Honestly, I made a lot of tests in the past, and I don't remember if I tried
15-minute checkpoints + high shared_buffers. That might work. I'm going to
try it and see what happens.

Jeff Janes wrote
> If the buffers get read, dirtied, and evicted from a small shared_buffers
> over and over again
> then you are almost guaranteed that will get written to disk multiple
> times

(as I understand, but I might be wrong):
high shared_buffers don't help because in such a random index writing, lots
and lots of pages get dirtied, even if the change in the page was minimal.
So, in the "15-minute" period, you write the same pages over and over again.
Even if you have high shared_buffers, the same page will get sync-ed to disk
multiple times (at every checkpoint).
The idea of those "other" indexes is to avoid the random writing, maximizing
the writing in sequence, even if that means writing more bytes. In other
words: writing a full 8KB is no different than write 20 bytes in a page, as
we'll have to sync the whole page anyway...

I'll try a 15-minute checkpoint interval... and see what happens.