From: "Robert Haas" <robertmh...@gmail.com>
ISTM that the biggest problem is that we don't have a random number
generator which generates enough bits of randomness to implement
uuid_generate_v3.  I think relatively few people would cry if we
didn't support uuid_generate_v1(), and the others all look simple
enough, provided there's somewhere to get lots of random bits.

On Linux, it seems like we could get those bits from /dev/urandom,
though I'm not sure how efficient that would be for the case where
many UUIDs are being generated at once.  But that wouldn't be very
portable.  It's tempting to think that we'd need a PRNG that generates
wider values, for which we might find other application also.  But I'm
not volunteering to be the one to create such a thing.

OpenSSL provides rand_bytes() which generates random bytes of any length. It uses /dev/urandom or /dev/random on UNIX/Linux and Crypto API of Microsoft on Windows.

Regards
MauMau