Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> ... So, perhaps, instead of having the code
> check session_timezone explicitely, have the caller pass it down.

> This consideration probably shouldn't drive a backpatchable fix,
> however.

Well, it's impossible to do that in a back-patchable way, I'm afraid,
because wouldn't you have to pass all three of
session_timezone/HasCTZSet/CTimeZone?

Actually, it strikes me there might be another way to do this, which is to
get rid of HasCTZSet/CTimeZone entirely in favor of consing up some pseudo
pg_tz structure that represents the desired semantics when we want a
"brute force" setting.  I think this code is all leftover from a time when
we used the libc timezone routines and did not have a cozy relationship
with the tz representation --- but that's ancient history now.  Let me
go look at that idea.  It might break external code that looks directly
at HasCTZSet/CTimeZone, but I'll bet there isn't any.