On 11/13/2013 11:37 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

Yes.  and I think this is one of the major advantages of the json API
vs hstore: you can serialize objects that hstore cannot -- at least
not without extra scaffolding (at least, AIUI, I haven't fully
grappled with the coming hstore stuff yet).  In other words, just
because key order and cardinality is unimportant in an associative
array, it does not in any way follow it is similarly unimportant for
object serialization.

I think you're probably going to lose any argument that says we should necessarily preserve key order (and possibly key duplication) in objects. The standard doesn't support such a contention, either:

   An object is an unordered collection of zero or more name/value
   pairs

   The names within an object SHOULD be unique.

Forcing us to preserve order and key duplication would be a pretty effective barrier to any performance improvements.

cheers

andrew