On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM, Heikki Linnakangas

> On 04.11.2013 23:44, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:12 PM, Alexander Korotkov
>> <aekorot...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>  Attached version of patch is debugged. I would like to note that number
>>> of
>>> bugs was low and it wasn't very hard to debug. I've rerun tests on it.
>>> You
>>> can see that numbers are improved as the result of your refactoring.
>>>           event         |     period
>>> -----------------------+-----------------
>>>   index_build           | 00:01:45.416822
>>>   index_build_recovery  | 00:00:06
>>>   index_update          | 00:05:17.263606
>>>   index_update_recovery | 00:01:22
>>>   search_new            | 00:24:07.706482
>>>   search_updated        | 00:26:25.364494
>>> (6 rows)
>>>       label      | blocks_mark
>>> ----------------+-------------
>>>   search_new     |   847587636
>>>   search_updated |   881210486
>>> (2 rows)
>>>       label     |   size
>>> ---------------+-----------
>>>   new           | 419299328
>>>   after_updates | 715915264
>>> (2 rows)
>>> Beside simple bugs, there was a subtle bug in incremental item indexes
>>> update. I've added some more comments including ASCII picture about how
>>> item indexes are shifted.
>>> Now, I'm trying to implement support of old page format. Then we can
>>> decide which approach to use.
>> Attached version of patch has support of old page format. Patch still
>> needs
>> more documentation and probably refactoring, but I believe idea is clear
>> and it can be reviewed. In the patch I have to revert change of null
>> category placement for compatibility with old posting list format.
> Thanks, just glanced at this quickly.
> If I'm reading the patch correctly, old-style non-compressed posting tree
> leaf pages are not vacuumed at all; that's clearly not right.

Fixed. Now separate function handles uncompressed posting lists and
compress them if as least one TID is deleted.

> I argued earlier that we don't need to handle the case that compressing a
> page makes it larger, so that the existing items don't fit on the page
> anymore. I'm having some second thoughts on that; I didn't take into
> account the fact that the "mini-index" in the new page format takes up some
> space. I think it's still highly unlikely that there isn't enough space on
> a 8k page, but it's not totally crazy with a non-standard small page size.
> So at least that situation needs to be checked for with an ereport(),
> rather than Assert.

Now this situation is ereported before any change in page.

To handle splitting a non-compressed page, it seems that you're relying on
> the fact that before splitting, we try to insert, which compresses the
> page. The problem with that is that it's not correctly WAL-logged. The
> split record that follows includes a full copy of both page halves, but if
> the split fails for some reason, e.g you run out of disk space, there is no
> WAL record at all of the the compression. I'd suggest doing the compression
> in the insert phase on a temporary copy of the page, leaving the original
> page untouched if there isn't enough space for the insertion to complete.
> (You could argue that this case can't happen because the compression must
> always create enough space to insert one more item. maybe so, but at least
> there should be an explicit check for that.)

Good point. Yes, if we don't handle specially inserting item indexes, I see
no point to do special handling for single TID which is much smaller. In
the attached patch dataCompressLeafPage just reserves space for single TID.

Also, many changes in comments and README.

Unfortunally, I didn't understand what is FIXME about in
ginVacuumEntryPage. So, it's not fixed :)

With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.

Attachment: gin-packed-postinglists-13.patch.gz
Description: GNU Zip compressed data

Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:

Reply via email to