15.11.2013 05:00, Peter Eisentraut kirjoitti:
I'm proposing that we upgrade our Autoconf to 2.69, which is the latest
right now (release date 2012-04-24).  There are no changes in the source
needed, just tweak the version number in configure.in (see below) and
run autoreconf.  I've compared the configure output before and after on
a few boxes, and there were no significant changes.

+1. Autoconf 2.63 doesn't seem to be available as a package on recent Linux distributions and would make things easier for me.

-m4_if(m4_defn([m4_PACKAGE_VERSION]), [2.63], [], [m4_fatal([Autoconf version
2.63 is required.
+m4_if(m4_defn([m4_PACKAGE_VERSION]), [2.69], [], [m4_fatal([Autoconf version
2.69 is required.
  Untested combinations of 'autoconf' and PostgreSQL versions are not
  recommended.  You can remove the check from 'configure.in' but it is then
  your responsibility whether the result works or not.])])

ISTM autoconf has been better with backwards compatibility lately. Maybe the fatal error could be changed to a warning and/or the check for version == 2.63 be replaced with a check for version >= 2.63? Without a strict requirement for a certain autoconf version it would make sense to also drop the built autoconf artifacts from the git repository which would make diffs shorter and easier to review when touching configure.in.

That said, it looks like autoconf 2.67 (from Debian 6) can't handle = in a cflags test, so maybe not..

/ Oskari

***

# Generated by GNU Autoconf 2.67 for PostgreSQL 9.4devel.

checking whether gcc supports -fexcess-precision=standard... ./configure: line 4528: pgac_cv_prog_cc_cflags__fexcess_precision_standard=no: command not found