On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 11:27:45AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I think this is probably nonsense.  I spent ten years maintaining Postgres
> for Red Hat, and I never saw any such failure on s390 in their packages.
> If -fpic weren't good enough for shared libraries on s390, how'd any of
> those builds get through their regression tests?

You've got a point here.

> It may well be that *mixing* -fpic and -fPIC is a bad idea, but I'd say
> that points to an error in something XC is doing, because the core
> Postgres build doesn't use -fPIC anywhere for Linux/s390, AFAICS.

I actually only compared to the Debian build which *does* have -fPIC and indeed
it seems it adds -fPIC unconditionally. But then the PostgreSQL package works
flawlessly which obviously points to XC for the problem. I give you that.

> Furthermore, if we change that convention now, we're going to increase
> the risk of such mixing failures for other people.

Sure, but if this a bug we should. I'm not saying it is, I simply don't know.

The thread is starting with my email here