Tom Lane wrote:

> I'm pretty suspicious of cute changes like this to the makefiles.
> They too often have unexpected side-effects.  (I'm still pissed off
> about having to manually remove objfiles.txt to get it to rebuild a .o
> file, for instance.)

Yeah, I've been bitten by that as well and I don't like it either.

A patch to use non-recursive make to construct the backend would be very
much appreciated.  We've talked about it at least two times, but no one
seems interested enough to put in the effort.

FWIW I'm also annoyed by the current make noise, but I don't support the
proposed patch.