Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> writes:
>
>> I have fixed pg_upgrade in git-head with the attached patch,
>> which prepends default_transaction_read_only=false to PGOPTIONS.
>
> What is the point of this, given that Kevin fixed pg_dumpall?
> Don't those fixes take care of the issue?
>
> If your argument is that you want pg_upgrade to work even if the
> user already turned on default_transaction_read_only in the *new*
> cluster, I would humbly disagree with that goal, for pretty much
> the same reasons I didn't want pg_dump overriding it.

If there were databases or users with default_transaction_read_only
set in the old cluster, the pg_dumpall run will cause that property
to be set in the new cluster, so what you are saying seems to be
that a cluster can't be upgraded to a new major release if any
database within it has that set.  My personal feeling is that it
would be good if that were not a barrier to using pg_upgrade; but
it would be OK as long as running it with the --check option
*tells* you that the cluster can't be upgraded without turning that
property off for all databases, and that the user under which it
runs can't have the property set.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com