* Dimitri Fontaine (dimi...@2ndquadrant.fr) wrote:
> Stephen Frost <sfr...@snowman.net> writes:
> > I don't like the idea of having a pg_dump/restore mechanism that
> > intentionally tries to go out and install the latest version of whatever
> > extension was installed in the old DB by downloading it from PGXN,
> > building it, and then installing it...  Is that what people are
> > expecting here?
>
> The whole idea of having Extension Templates in catalogs is exactly to
> prevent what you're describing here from happening.

eh...?  I'm not sure how that follows.

> Whatever the templates you downloaded to get to the version you now have
> in your database for extension “foo” are going to used again by
> pg_restore at CREATE EXTENSION time. The extension depending on its
> in-catalog templates ensures that model of operations.

What I've been trying to point out is that there's absolutely zero need
for the 'extension template' part of this to make a pg_restore work for
an entirely-in-the-catalog extension.  I realize that's how you've done
it with this patch set but that doesn't make it necessary.

        Thanks,

                Stephen