Thanks for the review.

The changes are very well divided into logical units, so I think I could
understand the ideas. I'm not too familiar with the ecpg internals, so
consider this at least a coding review.

git apply:      Clean, except for one finding below

Build:  no errors/warnings

Documentation build: no errors/warnings. The changes do appear in ecpg.html.

Regression tests: all passed

Non-Linux platforms: I can't verify, but I haven't noticed any new
dependencies added.

Comments (in the source code): good.

(My) additional comments:

22.patch
--------

tuples_left > 0

instead of just

tuples_left

seems to me safer in for-loops. Not sure if there's a convention for
this though.

I'll look at it, maybe the >0 had a reason.

23.patch
--------

git apply --verbose ~/cybertec/patches/ecpq/23.patch
/home/anton/cybertec/patches/ecpq/23.patch:494: space before tab in indent.
                         /*------
/home/anton/cybertec/patches/ecpq/23.patch:495: space before tab in indent.
                            translator: this string will be truncated at
149 characters expanded.  */
/home/anton/cybertec/patches/ecpq/23.patch:4019: trailing whitespace.
         exec sql close :curname;

I will fix the extra spaces.

Tests - 23.patch
----------------

src/interfaces/ecpg/test/sql/cursorsubxact.pgc

         /*
          * Test the implicit RELEASE SAVEPOINT if a SAVEPOINT
          * is used with an already existing name.
          */

Shouldn't it be "... if a CURSOR is used with an already existing
name?". Or just "... implicit RELEASE SAVEPOINT after an error"?
I'd also appreciate a comment where exactly the savepoint is
(implicitly) released.

If you do this:

SAVEPOINT A;
<some operations>
SAVEPOINT A; /* same savepoint name */

then the operations between the two are implicitly committed
to the higher subtransaction, i.e. it works as if there was a
RELEASE SAVEPOINT A; before the second SAVEPOINT A;
It happens to be tested with a DECLARE CURSOR statement
and the runtime has to refresh its knowledge about the cursor
by propagating it into a subtransaction one level higher.

23.patch and 24.patch

SO_MAJOR_VERSION and also interfaces/ecpg/include/ecpglib.h is changed

Thus all client applications probably need to be preprocessed & compiled
against the PG 9.4. I don't know how this is usually enforced. I'm
mentioning it for the sake of completeness.

The soversion has changed because of the changes in already
existing exported functions.

// Antonin Houska (Tony)