This is resolved by running dpkg-buildpackage with postgres and
dpkg-buildpackage -rsudo with the postgresql source folder in a
directory owned by postgres as dpkg creates a temporary folder in said
parent directory.

However, I am now running into the following issue:

The reason I am compiling is because I must change #define NAMEDATALEN
64 to a larger value. Setting it to 256 has presumably yielded the
following errors in the make check:

It fails on the name and enum tests.

I am rerunning the compilation to confirm this is a result of this
change. Please specify how to remove the regression check from the
dpkg build or how to resolve this (is there a max value that will not
fail?) if this is caused by this change or by something else on the
specified platform.