On 01/08/2014 03:18 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Do you really feel that a WARNING and increasing the docs to point
> out that three systems are necessary, particularly under the 'high
> availability' documentation and options, is a bad idea?  I fail to see
> how that does anything but clarify the use-case for our users.

I think the warning is dumb, and that the suggested documentation change
is insufficient.  If we're going to clarify things, then we need to have
a full-on several-page doc showing several examples of different sync
rep configurations and explaining their tradeoffs (including the
different sync modes and per-transaction sync).  Anything short of that
is just going to muddy the waters further.

Mind you, someone needs to take a machete to the HA section of the docs
anyway.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.