* Robert Haas (robertmh...@gmail.com) wrote:
> So when somebody says "relying on vacuum instead of doing
> HOT pruning" what I hear is "flush performance down the toilet"... but
> of course the real way to resolve this is to test whatever patch Simon
> or someone else eventually posts, not to speculate without data.

I don't think anyone was seriously proposing that (certainly not with
today's VACUUM).  What I've heard speculated about is doing HOT pruning
during UPDATE and/or INSERT but specifically not during SELECT.  I
concur that we need data to really understand the difference, hopefully
there'll be a patch posted which we can play with.

        Thanks,

                Stephen