On 11/18/13, 8:36 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
On the other hand, the performance costs of checking every row bound
for the remote table could be quite steep.  Consider an update on an
inheritance hierarchy that sets a = a + 1 for every row.  If we don't
worry about verifying that the resulting rows satisfy all local-side
constraints, we can potentially ship a single update statement to the
remote server and let it do all the work there.  But if we DO have to
worry about that, then we're going to have to ship every updated row
over the wire in at least one direction, if not both.  If the purpose
of adding CHECK constraints was to enable constraint exclusion, that's
a mighty steep price to pay for it.

A sophisticated enough FDW could verify that the appropriate check already
existed in tho foreign side, or it could do something like:

BEGIN;
UPDATE SET ... WHERE <where>
SELECT EXISTS( SELECT 1 WHERE <where> AND NOT (<check condition>) );

And then rollback if the SELECT returns true.

But obviously you can't always do that, so I think there's a place for both true
constraints and "suggested constraints".
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       j...@nasby.net