Greg Stark <st...@mit.edu> writes:
> Fwiw I think "all transactions lock up until space appears" is *much*
> better than PANICing. Often disks fill up due to other transient
> storage or people may have options to manually increase the amount of
> space. it's much better if the database just continues to function
> after that rather than need to be restarted.

Well, PANIC is certainly bad, but what I'm suggesting is that we just
focus on getting that down to ERROR and not worry about trying to get
out of the disk-shortage situation automatically.  Nor do I believe
that it's such a good idea to have the database freeze up until space
appears rather than reporting errors.