On 02/03/2014 01:13 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 5:22 PM, Craig Ringer <cr...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
I'm not a fan of MinGW (gcc) on Windows, it's a right pain. It's also
the only open source compiler currently supported for PostgreSQL on
Windows - practically the only one available. I don't know about you,
but I'm not too keen on assuming Microsoft will continue to offer free
toolchains that're usable for our purposes. They're crippling their free
build tools more and more with each release, which isn't a good trend.
I was under the impression that Microsoft had finally come around to
implementing a few C99 features in Visual Studio 2013 precisely
because they want there to be an open source ecosystem on Windows.

It's not so long ago that they were saying they would no longer publish free-as-in-beer command line compilers at all. The outrage made them change their minds, but we really can't rely on only Microsoft compilers for Windows.

cheers

andrew