On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 2:17 AM, Peter Geoghegan <p...@heroku.com> wrote:
> I'm just throwing an error when locking the tuple returns
> HeapTupleInvisible, and the xmin of the tuple is our xid.

I would like some feedback on this point. We need to consider how
exactly to avoid updating the same tuple inserted by our command.
Updating a tuple we inserted cannot be allowed to happen, not least
because to do so causes livelock.

A related consideration that I raised in mid to late January that
hasn't been commented on is avoiding updating the same tuple twice,
and where we come down on that with respect to where our
responsibility to the user starts and ends. For example, SQL MERGE
officially forbids this, but MySQL's INSERT...ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE
seems not to, probably due to implementation considerations.

--
Peter Geoghegan