"MauMau" <maumau...@gmail.com> writes:
> If the backend is terminated with SIGKILL while psql is running "\copy
> table_name from file_name", the \copy didn't end forever.  I expected \copy
> to be cancelled because the corresponding server process vanished.

I just noticed this CF entry pertaining to the same problem that Stephen
Frost reported a couple days ago:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20140211205336.gu2...@tamriel.snowman.net

I believe it's been adequately fixed as of commits fa4440f516 and
b8f00a46bc, but if you'd test that those handle your problem cases,
I'd appreciate it.

> [Fix]
> If the message transmission fails in PQputCopyEnd(), switch
> conn->asyncStatus back to PGASYNC_BUSY.

This patch seems inappropriate to me, because it will allow libpq to exit
the COPY IN state whether or not it still has a live connection.  If it
does, the backend will be in an inconsistent state and we'll have a mess.