Kevin Grittner <kgri...@ymail.com> writes:
> What is surprising is that the postmaster doesn't set up its own
> process group when it is running as a daemon.  We probably don't
> want to change that when postgres is run directly from a command
> line for development or diagnostic purposes, but Noah suggested
> perhaps we should add a --daemonize option which pg_ctl should use
> when launching the postmaster, which would cause it to create its
> own session group.

We intentionally removed the daemonization support that used to
be there; see commit f7ea6beaf4ca02b8e6dc576255e35a5b86035cb9.
One of the things it did was exactly this.  I'm a bit disinclined
to put that back.

If this is, as it sounds to be, a Solaris shell bug, doesn't it
affect other daemons too?