On 2/14/14, 1:06 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:
On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 6:33 AM, Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us
<mailto:br...@momjian.us>> wrote:

    On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 03:28:23AM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
     > Bruce,

     > Having @include and directory.d-style capabilities for pg_hba.conf *and*
     > pg_ident.conf would make managing larger environments much better.
     > There has been some talk about providing those capabilities via tables
     > in the catalog, but I'm not aware of anyone working on it and it'd
     > certainly be quite a bit more work than adding include/dir.d options.

    Do we want a TODO for this?

If we are assembling a wish-list, I've often wanted the opposite of an include.
 I want the ability to encapsulate the contents of pg_hba.conf directly into
postgresql.conf.  So instead of giving a filename to hba_file, optionally give
a multi-lined string with some kind of here-doc like mechanism, or something
like that.

When I set up a forked dev environment and then eventually want to compare the
diverged dev setup back to production, I often forget to compare the
pg_hba.conf file.

So is this just to avoid having to diff 2 files instead of one?

On it's face, I'm not seeing the value of putting pg_hba.conf inside
postgresql.conf... what am I missing?
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       j...@nasby.net