ISTM that this is an unfortunate but unlikely mistake, as "-p" is
used in all postgresql commands to signify the port number (psql,
pg_dump, pg_basebackup, createdb, ...).

Plus other tools already use -P for progress, such as rsync.

Yeah, but they don't make -P take an integer argument.  It's that
little frammish that makes this problem significant.

I do not see a strong case to make options with arguments case insensitive as a general rule. If this is done for -p/-P, why not -t/-T?

If you really fell you must remove -P, please replace it by another one-letter, I use this option nearly everytime a run pgbench.

--
Fabien.