On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 5:44 AM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I looked at the postmaster log for the ongoing issue on narwhal
> (to wit, that the contrib/dblink test dies the moment it tries
> to do anything dblink-y), and looky here what the postmaster
> has logged:
>
> 530fc965.bac:2] LOG:  server process (PID 2144) exited with exit code 128
> [530fc965.bac:3] DETAIL:  Failed process was running: SELECT *
>         FROM dblink('dbname=contrib_regression','SELECT * FROM foo') AS t(a
> int, b text, c text[])
>         WHERE t.a > 7;
> [530fc965.bac:4] LOG:  server process (PID 2144) exited with exit code 0
> [530fc965.bac:5] LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
>

> Now, back in the 2010 thread where we agreed to put in the ignore-128
> kluge, it was asserted that all known cases of this exit code were
> irreproducible Windows flakiness occurring at process start or exit.
> This is evidently neither start nor exit, but likely is being provoked
> by trying to load libpq into the backend.

Most of the information on net regarding this error code indicates
that it is related to some particular windows version and even there
are few Hot-Fixes for it, for example:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974509

Not sure, how relevant such hot-fixes are to current case, as most
information indicates that it happens during CreateProcess(), but the
current failure doesn't seem to have relation with CreateProcess().

I have tried to reproduce it on my local Windows m/c (Win-7), but
couldn't able to reproduce it. I think looking into Event Viewer logs
of that time might give some clue.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.