From: Robert Haas [mailto:robertmh...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 4:31 PM
To: Yuri Levinsky
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas; pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] requested shared memory size overflows size_t

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 6:05 AM, Yuri Levinsky <yu...@celltick.com> wrote:
> I changed postgresql.conf to decrease those parameters but no change:
> GMT54000FATAL:  requested shared memory size overflows size_t

I think this means you are running on a 32-bit operating system, or at least on
a 32-bit build.  That means you can't use more than 4GB of address space per
process, which has to fit shared_buffers and everything else.  Typically it's
best not to set shared_buffers above 2-2.5GB on such systems, but the real
solution is to use a 64-bit PostgreSQL.

--
Robert Haas
EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company