On 03/06/2014 07:00 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> What can we do to help people migrate to an hstore type that supports
> data types?  Is there a function we can give them to flag possible
> problem data, or give them some function to format things the old way
> for migrations, etc.  If they are going to have to rewrite all their old
> data, why bother with a backward-compatible binary format?  Is it only
> the client applications that will need to be changed?  How would we
> instruct users on the necessary changes?

So, from what I've been able to check:

The actual storage upgrade of hstore-->hstore2 is fairly painless from
the user perspective; they don't have to do anything.  The problem is
that the input/output strings are different, something which I didn't
think to check for (and Peter did), and which will break applications
relying on Hstore, since the drivers which support Hstore (like
psycopg2) rely on string-parsing to convert it.  I haven't
regression-tested hstore2 against psycopg2 since I don't have a good
test, but that would be a useful thing to do.

Hstore2 supports the same limited data types as JSON does, and not any
additional ones.

This makes an hstore2 of dubious value unless the compatibility issues
can be solved conclusively.

Is that all correct?  Have I missed something?

On 03/06/2014 09:50 AM, Oleg Bartunov wrote:> Looks like consensus is
done. I and Teodor are not happy with it, but
> what we can do :)   One thing I  want to do is to reserve our
> contribution to the flagship feature (jsonb), particularly, "binary
> storage for nested structures and indexing. Their work was sponsored
> by Engine Yard".

We don't generally credit companies in the release notes, since if we
started, where would we stop?  However, we *do* credit them in the press
release, and I'll make a note of the EY sponsorship, especially since
it's also good PR.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.