Thank you both for the thoughtful and helpful responses.

The utility of the length of the free list is somewhat dubious.  I imagine
it could be useful to answer the question of "is there a chance that
increasing shared buffers would be useless?" in an optimization context.
 Agreed it's not useful in most steady state scenarios.

I saw the approach in the pg_buffercache contrib module and am looking for
lockless alternatives for at least estimating the size of free buffers.

I'm a relatively inexperienced so I'd be curious to know whether there is a
danger beyond an inconsistent result in traversing / sampling the
BufferDescriptors without a lock?

Also I got the impression that there is a ring approach to freeing buffers,
and that assuming the descriptors are allocated in sequential addresses,
taking the difference in the first and last could be used to get a rough
estimate accounting for sizes or other shenanigans?

Thank you again, the clues to look at buffer descriptors and ShmemInitStruct
are very helpful.

Best Regards,
Robert