Atri Sharma wrote
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 9:22 PM, Rajmohan C <

> csrajmohan@

> > wrote:
>
>> I am implementing Planner hints in Postgresql to force the optimizer to
>> select a particular plan for a query on request from sql input. I am
>> having
>> trouble in modifying the planner code. I want to create a path node of
>> hint
>> plan and make it the plan to be used by executor. How do I enforce this ?
>> Should I create a new Plan for this ..how to create a plan node which can
>> be then given directly to executor for a particular query?
>>

> Planner hints have been discussed a lot before as well and AFAIK there is
> wiki page that says why we shouldnt implement them. Have you referred to
> them?
>
> Please share if you have any new points on the same.
>
> Regards,
>
> Atri

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo

(I got to it via the "FAQ" link on the homepage and the "Developer FAQ"
section there-in.  You should make sure you've scanned that as well.)

Note the final section titled: "Features We Do Not Want"

Also, you need to consider what you are doing when you cross-post (a bad
thing generally) "-hackers" and "-novice".  As there is, rightly IMO, no
"-novice-hackers" list you should have probably just hit up "-general".

Need to discuss the general "why" before any meaningful help on the "how" is
going to be considered by hackers.

David J.