On 3/17/14, 8:47 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Pavel Stehule <pavel.steh...@gmail.com> writes:
I've googled the problem and there seem to be more people with similar
problems, so I made this a command line option --no-table-locks and
wrapped it up in as nice a patch against github/master as I can manage
(and I didn't use C for a long time). I hope you find it useful.

Joe Conway sent me a tip so commit eeb6f37d89fc60c6449ca12ef9e914
91069369cb significantly decrease a time necessary for locking. So it can
help to.

Indeed.  I think there's zero chance that we'd accept the patch as
proposed.  If there's still a performance problem in HEAD, we'd look
for some other way to improve matters more.

(Note that this is only one of assorted O(N^2) behaviors in older versions
of pg_dump; we've gradually stamped them out over time.)

On that note, it's recommended that when you are taking a backup to restore
into a newer version of Postgres you create the dump using the NEWER version of
pg_dump, not the old one.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       j...@nasby.net