On 03/27/2014 04:43 PM, David Johnston wrote:
Bruce Momjian wrote
When we made OIDs optional, we added an oid status display to \d+:

        test=> \d+ test
                                 Table "public.test"
         Column |  Type   | Modifiers | Storage | Stats target | Description
        --------+---------+-----------+---------+--------------+-------------
         x      | integer |           | plain   |              |
-->  Has OIDs: no

Do we want to continue displaying that OID line, or make it optional for
cases where the value doesn't match default_with_oids?
If we didn't make it behave this way at the time of the change then what has
changed that we should make it behave this way now?  I like the logic
generally but not necessarily the change.

The disadvantage of this change is users (both end and tools) of the data
now also have to look at what the default is (or was at the time the text
was generated) to know what a suppressed OIDs means.  Given how much
information the typical \d+ generates I would suspect that the added noise
this introduces is quickly ignored by frequent users and not all the
disruptive to those who use \d+ infrequently.  Tools likely would prefer is
to be always displayed.

Frankly, to me it's just useless noise.

cheers

andrew