"Curtis Faith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Do you not think this is a potential performance problem to be explored?

I agree that there's a problem if the kernel runs short of buffer space.
I am not sure whether that's really an issue in practical situations,
nor whether we can do much about it at the application level if it is
--- but by all means look for solutions if you are concerned.

(This is, BTW, one of the reasons for discouraging people from pushing
Postgres' shared buffer cache up to a large fraction of total RAM;
starving the kernel of disk buffers is just plain not a good idea.)