On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 11:59 PM, Andres Freund <and...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 2014-04-01 16:45:46 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Michael Paquier
>> <michael.paqu...@gmail.com>wrote:
>> > As of now, pg_basebackup creates an empty repository for pg_replslot/
>> > in a base backup, forcing the user to recreate slots on other nodes of
>> > the cluster with pg_create_*_replication_slot, or copy pg_replslot
>> > from another node. This is not really user-friendly especially after a
>> > failover where a given slave may not have the replication slot
>> > information of the master that it is replacing.
>
> What exactly is your use case for copying the slots?
I had in mind users that want to keep around base backups that could
be used for recovery operations like PITR using a base backup and
archives. It does not apply directly to a live standby, as it would
mean that this standby would be defined to retain WAL for other slaves
connected to the master.
Regards
--
Michael