Hi,

Some comments about the patch:
* Coding Style:
  * multiline comments have both /* and */ on their own lines.
  * I think several places indent by two tabs.
  * Spaces around operators
  * ...
* Many of the new comments would enjoy a bit TLC by a native speaker.

* The way RTE_ALIAS creeps in many place where it doesn't seem to belong
  seems to indicate that the design isn't yet ready. I share Robert's
  suspicion that this would be better solved by referring to a special
  range table entry.

Based on the lack of activity around this and the fact that this needs a
*significant* chunk of work before being committable, I am going to mark
this as returned with feedback.

Greetings,

Andres Freund