(2014/04/09 1:23), Robert Haas wrote:
On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 5:05 AM, Etsuro Fujita
<fujita.ets...@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
Attached is a patch to improve the manual page for the ALTER TABLE command.

Do we really need to add a section for "type_name" when we already
have a section for "OF type_name"?

I think that the section for "type_name" would be necessary as that in chapter "Parameters", not in chapter "Description", which includes the section for "OF type_name".

constraint_name is also used for adding a constraint using an index.
So it could not only be a constraint to alter, validate, or drop, but
also a new constraint name to be added.

I overlooked that.

> Honestly, how much value is
there in even having a section for this?  Do we really want to
document constraint_name as "name of an existing constraint, or the
name of a new constraint to be added"?  It would be accurate, then,
but it also doesn't really tell you anything you didn't know already.

You have a point there, but I feel odd about the documentation as is, because some are well written (eg, column_name) and some are not (eg, constraint_name). So, if there are no objections, I'd like to update the patch.

Thanks,

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita