On 2014-05-06 13:30:26 -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > Enthusiatically seconded. I've asked for that about three times without
> > much success. If it had been my decision the patch wouldn't have been
> > merged without that and other adjustments.
>
> I'm almost certain that the only feedback of yours that I didn't
> incorporate was that I didn't change the name of JsonbValue, a
> decision I stand by, and also that I didn't add ascii art to
> illustrate the on-disk format. I can write a patch that adds the
> latter soon.

That might or might not be true. I don't really remember. Documentation
about the on-disk format is the one thing I am sure about that's not
done.

The reviews I did were really cursory reviews, nothing thorough. There's
large parts of the code (e.g. jsonb_gin.c) I didn't even look at. And
others I don't really understand. I also didn't have time to look at the
later versions. The code did improve, don't get me wrong. Otherwise I'd
have been very vocal about this when committed.
But it's still pretty hard to read/understand code. Which imo is
problematic for a feature touted being absolutely critical for postgres'
success. If other's want a taste, take a peek at
findJsonbValueFromSuperHeader()'s code.

Greetings,

Andres Freund