On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM, Christoph Berg <c...@df7cb.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if you split configuration and data by setting data_directory,
> postgresql.auto.conf is writen to the data directory
> (/var/lib/postgresql/9.4/main in Debian), but tried to be read from
> the etc directory (/etc/postgresql/9.4/main).
>
> One place to fix it would be in ProcessConfigFile in
> src/backend/utils/misc/guc-file.l:162 by always setting
> CallingFileName = NULL in src/backend/utils/misc/guc-file.l:162, but
> that breaks later in AbsoluteConfigLocation() when data_directory is
> NULL. (As the comment in ProcessConfigFile says.)

This problem occurs because we don't have the value of data_directory
set in postgresql.conf by the time we want to parse .auto.conf file
during server start.  The value of data_directory is only available after
processing of config files.  To fix it, we need to store the value of
data_directory during parse of postgresql.conf file so that we can use it
till data_directory is actually set.  Attached patch fixes the problem.
Could you please once confirm if it fixes the problem in your
env./scenario.

Another way to fix could be that during parse, we directly set the config
value of data_directory, but I didn't prefer that way because the parse
routine is called from multiple paths which later on process the values
separately.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.