On 16 Oct 2002 at 1:25, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:
> > Thanks, Bruce.  But what I want to know is whether multithreading is
> > likely to get into in postgresql, say somewhere in 8.x, or even in 9.x?
> > (as they did with Apache).  Are there any plans to do so, or is postgres
> > going to remain rather a multi-process application?
> It may be optional some day, most likely for Win32 at first, but we see
> little value to it on most other platforms;  of course, we may be wrong.
> I am also not sure if it is a big win on Apache either;  I think the

Well, I have done some stress testing on 1.3.26 and 2.0.39. Under same hardware
and network setup and same test case, 1.3.26 maxed at  475-500 requests/sec and
2.0.39 gave flat 800 requests/sec.

Yes, under light load, there is hardly any difference. But Apache2 series is
definitely an improvement.

> jury is still out on that one, hence the slow adoption of 2.X, and we
> don't want to add threads and make a mess of the code or slow it down,
> which does often happen.

Well, slow adoption rate is attributed to 'apache 1.3.x is good enough for us'
syndrome, as far as I can see from news. Once linux distros start shipping with
apache 2.x series *only*, the upgrade cycle will start rolling, I guess.

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Programming Department: Mistakes made while you wait.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster