On 05/07/2014 11:13 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> We ought to be realistic about the fact that the current
> recommendations around sizing shared_buffers are nothing more than
> folk wisdom. That's the best we have right now, but that seems quite
> unsatisfactory to me.

So, as one of several people who put literally hundreds of hours into
the original benchmarking which established the sizing recommendations
for shared_buffers (and other settings), I find the phrase "folk wisdom"
personally offensive.  So, can we stop with this?

Otherwise, I don't think I can usefully participate in this discussion.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.