Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> Jeff Janes wrote:
>> One thing is that I want to find a way to drive multixact in fast forward,
>> so that the freezing cycle gets a good workout. Currently I can't consume
>> enough of them to make them wrap around within the time frame of a test.

> IIRC I lobotomized it up by removing the XLogInsert() call.  That allows
> you to generate large amounts of multixacts quickly.  In my laptop this
> was able to do four or five wraparound cycles in two-three hours or so,
> using the "burn multixact" utility here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20131231035913.gu22...@eldon.alvh.no-ip.org

Another possibility is to use pg_resetxlog to manually advance the
multixact counter to a point near wraparound.  I think you have to
manually create appropriate slru segment files as well when doing that
(someday we should hack pg_resetxlog to do that for you).  Still, it
might beat waiting hours to burn multixacts one by one.