On 05/29/2014 02:38 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Josh Kupershmidt <schmi...@gmail.com> writes:
On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 11:23 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
I've just committed regression test adjustments to prevent that from
being a failure case, but I am confused about why it's happening.
I wouldn't be surprised at not getting a MAC address on a machine that
lacks any internet connection, but that surely can't describe the
buildfarm environment.  Are you curious enough to poke into it and
see what's going on?  It might be useful to strace a backend that's
trying to execute uuid_generate_v1() and see what the kernel interaction
looks like exactly.
Here's the result of attaching strace to an idle backend, then running
SELECT uuid_generate_v1(). AFAIR shearwater is a cheaply-hosted OpenVZ
VPS under the hood.
Interesting.  Looks like you have access only to virtual network
interfaces, and they report all-zero MAC addresses, which the UUID library
is smart enough to ignore.  If smew is also in a virtual environment
then that's probably the explanation.  (There are some other buildfarm
critters that are reporting MAC addresses with the local-admin bit set,
which I suspect also means they've got virtual network interfaces, but
with a different treatment of the what-to-report problem.)

Almost all my critters run in VMs (all but jacana and bowerbird).

cheers

andrew