On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Andres Freund <and...@2ndquadrant.com>
wrote:

> On 2014-06-03 10:37:53 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Andres Freund <and...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> query
> PITA.
> >
> > > I haven't added it, but it seems appropriate in that specific case. The
> > > number of leakproof functions should be fairly small and every addition
> > > should be carefully reviewed... I am e.g. not sure that it's a good
> idea
> > > to declare network_smaller/greater as leakproof - but it's hard to
> catch
> > > that on the basic of pg_proc.h alone.
> >
> > Meh.  I agree that new leakproof functions should be carefully reviewed,
> > but I have precisely zero faith that this regression test will contribute
> > to that.
>
> Well, I personally wouldn't have noticed that the OP's patch marked the
> new functions as leakproof without that test. At least not while looking
> at the patch. pg_proc.h is just too hard to read.
>
> > It hasn't even got a comment saying why changes here should
> > receive any scrutiny; moreover, it's not in a file where changes would be
> > likely to excite suspicion.  (Probably it should be in opr_sanity, if
> > we're going to have such a thing at all.)
>
> I don't object to moving it there.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Andres Freund
>
> --
>  Andres Freund                     http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
>  PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

Andres's changes on June 3rd to
https://github.com/postgres/postgres/commits/master/src/test/regress/expected/create_function_3.out
are causing patch v2 to fail for that regression test file.

postgres $ patch -p1 -i ../inet_agg_v2.patch
patching file src/backend/utils/adt/network.c
patching file src/include/catalog/pg_aggregate.h
patching file src/include/catalog/pg_proc.h
patching file src/include/utils/builtins.h
patching file src/test/regress/expected/create_function_3.out
Hunk #1 FAILED at 153.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file
src/test/regress/expected/create_function_3.out.rej
patching file src/test/regress/expected/inet.out
patching file src/test/regress/sql/inet.sql

Otherwise it applies without any issues to the latest HEAD. I built and
started a new instance, and I was able to test at least the basic min/max
functionality

keith=# create table test_inet (id serial, ipaddress inet);
CREATE TABLE
Time: 25.546 ms
keith=# insert into test_inet (ipaddress) values ('192.168.1.1');
INSERT 0 1
Time: 3.143 ms
keith=# insert into test_inet (ipaddress) values ('192.168.1.2');
INSERT 0 1
Time: 2.932 ms
keith=# insert into test_inet (ipaddress) values ('127.0.0.1');
INSERT 0 1
Time: 1.786 ms
keith=# select min(ipaddress) from test_inet;
    min
-----------
 127.0.0.1
(1 row)

Time: 3.371 ms
keith=# select max(ipaddress) from test_inet;
     max
 192.168.1.2
(1 row)

Time: 1.104 ms