Robert Haas wrote:

> > Right, if we were to support multiple policies on a given table then we
> > would have to support adding and removing them individually, as well as
> > specify when they are to be applied- and what if that "when" overlaps?
> > Do we apply both and only a row which passed them all gets sent to the
> > user?  Essentially we'd be defining the RLS policies to be AND'd
> > together, right?  Would we want to support both AND-based and OR-based,
> > and allow users to pick what set of conditionals they want applied to
> > their various overlapping RLS policies?
>
> AND is not a sensible policy; it would need to be OR.  If you grant
> someone access to two different subsets of the rows in a table, it
> stands to reason that they will expect to have access to all of the
> rows that are in at least one of those subsets.

I haven't been following this thread, but this bit caught my attention.
I'm not sure I agree that OR is always the right policy either.
There is a case for a policy that says "forbid these rows to these guys,
even if they have read permissions from elsewhere".  If OR is the only
way to mix multiple policies there might not be a way to implement this.
So ISTM each policy must be able to indicate what to do -- sort of how
PAM config files allow you to specify "required", "optional" and so
forth for each module.