On 06/25/2014 02:46 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Why do we have essentially duplicate pg_proc entries for json_extract_path
and json_extract_path_op?  The latter is undocumented and seems only to be
used as the infrastructure for the #> operator.  I see that only the
former is marked variadic, but AFAIK the operator machinery couldn't care
less about that, so it seems to me we could get rid of the
json_extract_path_op entry and point the operator at json_extract_path.

Likewise for json_extract_path_text_op, jsonb_extract_path_op, and
jsonb_extract_path_text_op.

ISTR trying that and running into problems, maybe with opr_sanity checks.

But if you can get rid of them cleanly then by all means do.

cheers

andrew