Peter Eisentraut-2 wrote
> 9.3 pg_restore --help output:
>
>   -I, --index=NAME             restore named index
>   -n, --schema=NAME            restore only objects in this schema
>   -P, --function=NAME(args)    restore named function
>   -t, --table=NAME             restore named table(s)
>   -T, --trigger=NAME           restore named trigger
>   --section=SECTION            restore named section (pre-data, data, or
> post-data)
>
> 9.4 pg_restore --help output:
>
>   -I, --index=NAME             restore named indexes
>   -n, --schema=NAME            restore only objects in these schemas
>   -P, --function=NAME(args)    restore named functions
>   -t, --table=NAME             restore named tables
>   -T, --trigger=NAME           restore named triggers
>   --section=SECTION            restore named sections (pre-data, data, or
> post-data)
>
> This is a valuable feature change, but I think the help output is
> unhelpful.  The left side has a singular placeholder, but the right side
> talks about objects in plural.  How do I actually specify multiple
> indexes?  Is is --index=foo,bar?  It's --index=foo --index=bar, but
> that's unclear from the help.
>
> I think it would be clearer to write something like
>
>   -I, --index=NAME             restore named indexes (repeat for multiple)
>
> or perhaps make a note at the bottom
>
>         The options -I, -n, -P, -t, -T, --section can be combined and
>         specified multiple times to select multiple objects.

"each* restores named <type>"

For the schema version how about:

"each* restores named schema - including objects"

Then at the end:

* You may specify a flag multiple times to restore multiple entries of the
given type.

Though to be fair is there some platform standard that we can attempt to
emulate here? It seems pointless to create our own design if we borrow
something more universal.

David J.