On Sat, 2002-10-26 at 18:27, Tom Lane wrote:
> Larry Rosenman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > How concerned are we about assignment type mismatch warnings?
>
> They're probably all "char versus unsigned char" complaints?
Probably.  The first few I looked at are PG_GETARG_CSTRING to unsigned
char assignments.  (I can send the whole list to either you, Tom, or the
list).

> There are a ton of them on compilers that care about it; most of
> 'em in the multibyte support.  While it would be nice to clean up
> all that someday, I can't say that I think it's a really profitable
> use of time.
Ok, I understand that.  It seems that there are a bunch, but they are
just warnings.

> One difficulty is that the obvious fix (add a bunch of casts) is
> probably a net degradation of the code.  Explicit casts will hide
> mismatches that are a lot worse than char signedness, and so
> cluttering the code with them makes things more fragile IMHO.
> I think an acceptable fix would involve running around and changing
> datatype and function declarations; which is much more subtle and
> thought-requiring than throwing in a cast wherever the compiler
> burps.
Understand, and I don't expect it to happen in a beta test :-).

>                       regards, tom lane
Phone: +1 972-414-9812                 E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster