On Tue, 2014-08-26 at 02:05 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> Currently running "make -j16 all check" in contrib/ results in a mess
> because
> all pg_regress invocations fight over the same port. Adding a simple
> .NOTPARALLEL: check-%-recurse
> into contrib/Makefile fixes that. Do we want that?

But that causes also the "all" to be run in not-parallel, because the
meaning of .NOTPARALLEL is:

     If `.NOTPARALLEL' is mentioned as a target, then this invocation of
     `make' will be run serially, even if the `-j' option is given.

It does not mean, as you appear to imagine, to run only the listed
prerequisites in not-parallel.  That would be nice!