(2014/08/25 15:48), Etsuro Fujita wrote:
(2014/08/15 6:18), Rukh Meski wrote:
Based on the feedback on my previous patch, I've separated only the
LIMIT part into its own feature.  This version plays nicely with
inheritance.  The intended use is splitting up big UPDATEs and DELETEs
into batches more easily and efficiently.

Before looking into the patch, I'd like to know the use cases in more
details.

Thanks for the input, Amit, Kevin and Jeff! I understand that the patch is useful.

I've looked at the patch a bit closely. Here is my initial thought about the patch.

The patch places limit-counting inside ModifyTable, and works well for inheritance trees, but I'm not sure that that is the right way to go. I think that this feature should be implemented in the way that we can naturally extend it to the ORDER-BY-LIMIT case in future. But honestly the patch doesn't seem to take into account that, I might be missing something, though. What plan do you have for the future extensibility?

I think that the approach discussed in [1] would be promissing, so ISTM that it would be better to implement this feature by allowing for plans in the form of eg, ModifyTModifyTable+Limit+Append.

Thanks,

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/26819.1291133...@sss.pgh.pa.us

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita