> On 01/09/14 20:42, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> =?UTF-8?B?w4FsdmFybyBIZXJuw6FuZGV6IFRvcnRvc2E=?= <a...@nosys.es> writes:
>>
>>>       What I can add is that, if Postgres is to devote resources to a new
>>> language, I would plan it with a broader scope. What would attract most
>>> users? Would it bring non postgres users to Postgres? What could be one
>>> of the killer features of any next version? My trivial answer to most of
>>> these questions is: PL/SQL.
>>>
>> By that I suppose you mean "I wish it would act just like Oracle".
>> The problem with such a wish is that a lot of the incompatibilities
>> with Oracle are functions of the core SQL engine, not of the PL.
>> plpgsql already is about as close to PL/SQL as it's possible to get
>> without changing core Postgres behavior --- or at least, that was
>> the original design desire, and I don't think that it's failed in
>> any large degree.
>>
>>                         regards, tom lane
>>

>     It's true that some of the incompatibilities are the core engine,
> internal functions and so on, and that the plpgsql design goal was to
> achieve "similarity". But similarity is not code compatibility, and afaik,
> plpgsql is not code compatible with PL/SQL. Having 1:1 code compatibility,
> if possible, is a very well first step, only followed by the core
> functionalities you mention.
>
>     If postgres were going for a new language, why not implement one
> which, having the other suggested functionality, also has 1:1 PL/SQL code
> compatibility? I'm sure it's no trivial task, but one highly desirable.

It is false expectation - language is only one part .. and plpgsql isn't to
far. There are different system of modules, different system of custom
aggregates, mainly with PL/SQL is very complex library dbms_xxxx. This
library is maybe more complex than current Postgres base.

It is task for commercial project --- not all Postgres users need a Oracle
compatibility layer. Next, I am sure, so it is in contradiction to Joel
proposal.

Regards

Pavel