On 09/02/2014 09:52 AM, Fujii Masao wrote:
[RESULT]
Throughput in the benchmark.

                             Multiple                    Single
         off                    2162.6                    2164.5
         on                    891.8                    895.6
         pglz                    1037.2                    1042.3
         lz4                    1084.7                    1091.8
         snappy                    1058.4                    1073.3

Most of the CPU overhead of writing full pages is because of CRC calculation. Compression helps because then you have less data to CRC.

It's worth noting that there are faster CRC implementations out there than what we use. The Slicing-by-4 algorithm was discussed years ago, but was not deemed worth it back then IIRC because we typically calculate CRC over very small chunks of data, and the benefit of Slicing-by-4 and many other algorithms only show up when you work on larger chunks. But a full-page image is probably large enough to benefit.

What I'm trying to say is that this should be compared with the idea of just switching the CRC implementation. That would make the 'on' case faster, and and the benefit of compression smaller. I wouldn't be surprised if it made the 'on' case faster than compressed cases.

I don't mean that we should abandon this patch - compression makes the WAL smaller which has all kinds of other benefits, even if it makes the raw TPS throughput of the system worse. But I'm just saying that these TPS comparisons should be taken with a grain of salt. We probably should consider switching to a faster CRC algorithm again, regardless of what we do with compression.

- Heikki