On 09/23/2014 10:29 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
Three people have voted for making it an *error* to supply a value
that needs to be rounded, instead of changing the rounding behavior.
Votes or no votes, that's a horrible idea; it breaks the design goal
that users shouldn't need to remember the precise unit size when making
postgresql.conf entries.

And I'm not sure what votes you're counting, anyway.  People's opinions
have changed as the discussion proceeded ...

I don't think I've weighed in on this, and yes, I'm very late to the party. The "round away from zero" suggestion seemed the simplest and most easily understood rule to me.

As Tom, I think, remarked, if that seems silly because 1 second gets rounded up to 1 hour or whatever, then we've chosen the wrong units in the first place.

cheers

andrew